Dr. O’Connell was born and raised in the tri-city area. After graduating from the University of New Hampshire and Dartmouth Medical School, he served honorably for seven years in the US Army to include residency training at the Presidio of San Francisco. Last stationed at Ft Bragg, NC, he achieved the rank of Major, was airborne trained and was listed for Lieutenant Colonel. In 1992, Dr. O’Connell founded PainCare (formerly Northeast Pain Consultation), which has since grown to 12 locations throughout New Hampshire. Today he continues as CEO, overseeing all operations.
Professional Certifications & Associations
Dr. O’Connell is a former member of numerous professional organizations including the American Academy of Pain Management, the American Pain Society, the International Spine Injection Society, the Society for Pain Practice Management, the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, and the American Medical Association.
- B.A. in Biochemistry from University of New Hampshire
- M.D. from Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH
- Internship at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington DC
- Residency in Anesthesiology and Pain Management at Letterman Army Medical Center/University of California, San Francisco
- Master’s degree in Health Administration (MHA), UNH